Friday, January 20, 2012

I'm a Giant... Post-extension progress/To-do list

Slow and steady is the new motto around here. Little by little, things are getting done closer to done. Here's the current punch list:

Nursery:
Design/build loft bed (The bones are there, but need to work on finishing touches.)
Build twin size bed (bed/mattress/under-bed storage are halfway complete)
Wallpaper above the chair rail
...Finish installing chair rail (there is, quite literally, a speedbump in the beadboard)
Finish sewing curtains (It's a ruffled chiffon panel. I'm stupid for even trying this, hours invested so far: 3)
Make cornice box
Figure out bedding
Art/accessories

Master Bedroom:
All textiles (bedding/pillows/curtains/rugs/etc.)
Finish tripod lamp
Build bench (optional, which means it probably won't happen by Feb. 1st)
Art/accessories

Bathroom:
Make lighted art feature (bought the bulbs)
Upcycle a wooden table
Paint wire shelving (gold, obviously)
Finish sconces (almost done)
Make a ceiling light
Curtains
Art/accessories

Living Room:
Re-wallpaper. I don't love the current stuff, as it was chosen/applied in a hurry on December 15th.
Finish coffee table
Refinish armoire
Build credenza
Make/buy TV
Finish light-box
Curtains
Art/accessories

Kitchen/Dining:
Build cabinetry
Paint banquette
Art/accessories

Study:
I'm contemplating leaving this room out of the challenge altogether, which is unfortunate. I have some great (but time-consuming) ideas for this room, and looking at the list above is discouraging. We'll see what I have time for, I guess. This room needs EVERYTHING. All it has is: flooring, wiring, windows/trim, and a firepole. Totes bare bones.

This isn't overwhelming at all (lying).

In other craft-palace news, I went "shopping" in my late-grandfather-in-law's abandoned woodworking shop again and got some great tools and materials. I even found a 1:12 furniture kit for a table, new and still in the box. I heard that before he passed, he had wanted to build/furnish a dollhouse. Though I never got to meet him, I'd like to think he'd be glad to know where all his stuff is going. I wish he was still around to help me with my techniques. So, Peep, if you're reading my very boring and incredibly obscure blog from heaven, thanks man. And your family misses you.




It wouldn't be a normal TinyFixation post without a few pics of my current projects/process/progress!


 Liquid motivation/self-forgiveness. In that order. Don't judge. You can see the beginnings of the treehouse loft for the nursery in this pic. I've made a lot more progress since this was taken last week.



I found these scrapbook embellishments at Hobby Lobby. The backs of these aren't horrendous as I had anticipated. Throw pillows, fo shizzle. They aren't squishy like pillows, but this stuff doesn't need to be functional. I have to keep reminding myself that it only needs to look authentic.


I also have a beautiful collection of antique hankies. I've been curating this collection since I was a wee little lass. They're totally gorge, yet under appreciated. They're hidden away 100% of the time. I've been thinking about using a few in the dollhouse, but that would require cutting them. I guess they're collecting dust anyway, I might as well showcase them in a new way, no? I'll have to ask mom what she thinks.



And here are my almost-finished sconces for the bathroom. They'll flank a bevel-edged oval mirror over the sink. I like 'em a bunch. Sorry you have to see my man-hands.



I've been showing a lot less stuff since I'd like there to be a few surprises on February 1st. It's not as fun if I don't keep some secrets. We're down to the wire... again. Just under 2 weeks left. So I hope I can squeeze in time for another post or two before the deadline.

4 comments:

  1. The treehouse loft is awesome, as are the sconces. And I don't know that I would have been able to handle the project without a little wine, myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister (Christina ^) told me about your blog and said that you were amazingly talented... she's right. This stuff is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sconces and all of your unique lamps and lights are just amazing. I love the close up shots to see how cool they really are. Great work.

    ReplyDelete