Technically, it's not a brass bed. But I couldn't decide if I wanted a brass bed, or a four-poster. Guess what, kids?! You CAN have it all. And I choose both. So here's a new version of an old scene. I wasn't going to put all of the pieces together until I finished the headboard, but I couldn't visualize the brass/trim design without seeing the big picture.
I tried laying out some trim options, but still couldn't manifest a decision. Usually it's easy for me to get a mental picture, then execute it. Not that day. So I started hammering the brass for the back panel instead. It's totally gorge.
Then I layed out the main trim again, and experimented with my X's. I wanted to bring the detail from the canopy down to the headboard. I thought about having 3 X's across the back, but realized that it might be too busybusy. Sometimes less really is more. I'm digging the double X. I think.
Then I decided to glue in the brass panel, because it wouldn't hold still when I was dry-fitting the trim. Hammered brass doesn't lay flat, and I sure wasn't going to hold pressure manually for the 24-hour cure time on that adhesive. None of my 16-or-so clamps were going to fit right. So I made a pig-pile of all the smallest, heaviest crap that I could round up. Say a few Hail Mary's for this one.